Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Giving him a chance

A pretty common thing I'm hearing from a lot of pundits and friends who didn't vote for Obama is that they're going to give him a chance for 6 months to a years or so.

Please don't.

After all, what does giving him a chance mean? That you'll fairly evaluate his proposals? Or not instinctively disbelieve everything he says? Why would that end after six months? Should you start being unfair and petty at that point?

Or does it mean that you'll refrain from criticizing him? I suppose you could do that, but I hope you won't. He's the President, his actions affect us all and we should be giving a skeptical look to those in power. Some of the biggest failures of the Bush administration occurred when his approval ratings were sky-high because people didn't want to find fault in what he did.

I'm an Obama supporter, and I'm asking you to treat him like a President. If you disagree with him, criticize him, if you agree, go with that. If you think he's messed the hell up, say so. I plan on doing so.

It's a democracy not a monarchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment